In honor of The Watermelon Festival coming up this weekend in Richmond’s Cary Town on August 11th. I wanted high light MY favorite fruit!! WATERMELON!! Watermelons just seem to represent summertime, they’re cooling, they’re re- freshing, they’re swimming at the pool and day trips to beach, they’re running through sprinklers, they’re juicy, they’re a staple at every back yard summer party! And they can be super messy and intimating to cut up. There are a bunch of different ways to slice up a melon.
HERE IS HOW I DO IT!!
one cup contains:
About 46 calories
9 grams sugar
11 grams carbs
Less than 1 gram protein
.23 grams fat
170 mg potassium
Watermelon has vitamins A and C, as well as lycopene, an antioxidant in red-colored fruit that is shown to reduce the risk of cancer, improves cardovascular health, and provides UV protection. Watermelon is also made up of over 90 percent water, which helps with hydration. Watermelon is high in sugar so stick with 1 to 2 cups if your watching your sugar intake, or maybe you were inspired to sugar DETOX!!!
Classic Watermelon Salad
- 2 cups of bite size watermelon cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp applecider vinegar or basalmic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup light feta cheese
- 20 mint leaves
- Make the dressing, combine, salt, vinegar,oil and lime juice
- Slice the watermelon into small bite size pieces.
- Chiffon the mint leaves, layer 5 leaves on top of each other, roll them up then slice down the roll like little sushi’s
- In a large bowl crumble feta, mint and dressing. Stir gently until the feta and mint are well coated in the dressing
- Add the watermelon and give it one to two more stirs.
- You should store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will only last a few days though, so eat it up!
- 1 watermelon cut into long “fry” strips
- 2 tsp Tajin seasoning ( is a mixture of salt, chili and lime, you can easily swap in salt, chili powder and lime zest).
- 1 cup yogurt plain yogurt ( greek or non dairy is fine here)
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- Combine yogurt, lime juice and zest and honey in a bowl
- On a large plate or platter, lay watermelon fries flat trying not to let any over lap or lay on top of each other
- Sprinkle Tajin seasoning.
- Serve with dip and enjoy!